Monday, September 16, 2013

This year so far in review

I wanted to thank everyone who reads this blog of my journey down the coastline on my way to San Francisco. From San Francisco, I will drive to Reno for some tattoo work and gambling then drive home. The ultimate goal of this trip is to figure out what my next steps are in my life's adventure. 

Let me give you a brief history of this year and why it has been incredibly trying both professionally and personally. This year has been the year of not taking risks and making the hard decisions that I need to make for myself. In April, Casey and I split up for the second time for the same reason as the first causing me to lose all trust in her. Despite breaking up, we continued to see each other throughout the summer and her behavior became even more destructive to my soul and our connection. It was one of the major causes for my start down into a deep depression. 

Professionally, things were looking up with a new District Manager with a good vision I  felt I made the right decision not to quit The Body Shop at the beginning of the year. However, all the growth and development came to a halt in June. I lost 1/3 my staff in one month due to promotions, terminations, and employees going to school. What once was a smooth running store became stretched to its limits of staff with no prospects at the time. And it still hasn't recovered due to 2 of 3 new hires quitting in less then one month. 

Also, my DJ residency at Belltown Billiards became a joke. We had sound decibel limits where the sound needed to be super low. I swear my car could be louder than the club. Getting paid was also a joke, not to any fault of the staff but fully on the club owner. Those of you who know the owner fully understand that he is one of the worst in the scene. I just fully ended my residency there in July and I am so happy to be out of there.

Continuing to date someone who made me feel like a joke and worthless, staying in a job with no growth potential, and DJing in the worst atmosphere drove me in to a very deep depression. After reflecting back on this year most of my issues could have been solved if I just would have made the correct hard decisions. Decisions such as to split up from Casey and not talk or see her period from the start, to find a new job early in the year, and branch out my DJing to other clubs sooner.

Well, better late then never, but I wish I would have done it sooner. I am slowly working myself out of the funk that I have been in. I called things fully off with Casey about a month ago now and have only spoke to her due to a random chance encounter a couple weeks back. I have
new DJ gigs at Jack's Pub, Last Supper Club, and Cowgirls (starting in Oct.)  plus one offs coming up at a few different clubs. And I now have a plan to leave my job at The Body Shop. Truthfully, I'm hoping they let me go so I can get Funemployment for a while. 

This road trip is to re-center myself, find my happiness, and create my plan for the future of my life, and get tattoo' d. I'm trying to focus on what I want now and go after it even if I may not think its possible.  My new mantra "Do one thing everyday that scares me" 

Burl Austin Leno



No comments:

Post a Comment