Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Detours

Finding a place to sleep for the night has been interesting to say the least. I stopped at a California Parks information office and asked about camping at Humboldt Redwoods State Park near the Ave of Giants. The ranger said it would be easy to get to because it was right off the 101.

Well.....Not so easy getting to the campground.

Maps took me on a 45 minute scenic drive up some very twisty road yet never got me to where I thought I was going. So I asked Maps again for directions, this time to another location not far away but still not a campground. Well, third times the charm right. Not this time. All the detours did allow me to drive through the Ave of Giants getting to see enormous Redwoods.

Lesson of the day: Ask the Ranger a more specific question next time such as "Where should I camp in Humboldt Redwoods State Park?" What I asked was "Is there camping at Humboldt Redwoods State Park?"

I came to find out that the park has three different camping areas. I actually drove right by one of the areas on my first time trying to find the State Park campground entrance. Now you would think that a Park Ranger would mention that there are a few different camping areas and here are the names and locations. Yet this Ranger just told me it was easier to get to than the other State Park I mentioned. Now I'm in a hotel in Garberville. The bed and hot shower are very welcome to aching body

Tomorrow I make the final leg to San Francisco down HWY 101 to HWY 1. Forty Whiners, I got my Hawks gear ready for the entire weekend! Blue and Green!

No comments:

Post a Comment